AND THE WATCH OF THE YEAR IS…
The prestigious award ceremony held by Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève (GPHG) took place last night at the Grand Théâtre de Genève. GPHG are annually awarding the finest contributions of watchmaking with – in their own words – the “intention to salute the excellence of worldwide horological production”.
The most esteemed award went to Bovet for their incredible timepiece entailed Récital 22 Grand Récital. It’s simply one of the very finest watches of the 21stcentury. Bovet describes the watch in the following way: “9-day Flying Tourbillon Tellurium-Orrery and Retrograde Perpetual Calendar”. The combination of a tourbillion, tellurium and a perpetual calendar is extremely advanced and unique even for other grand complications. The advanced design features a flying tourbillion that’s costumed to look like the sun and a small moon which rotates around the earth. Simply amazing! The modest listing prices are $470,000 USD for red gold and $500,000 USD for platinum.
The honorable Special Jury Prize went to Mr. Jean-Claude Biver who’s arguably the biggest name in the watchmaking industry. Biver is currently the President of LVHM’s watch division and also the Chairman of Zenith and Hublot.
Our personal favorites, beside the incredible Bovet, is the Lady Arpels Planétarium by Van Cleef & Arpels, the Arceau Robe du soir by Hermès, and Vacheron Constantin‘s Historiques Triple calendrier 1942.
The Prize list in full
- Aiguille d’Or: Bovet 1822, Récital 22 Grand Récital
- Ladies’ Watch Prize: Chanel, Boy-friend Skeleton
- Ladies’ Complication Watch Prize: Van Cleef & Arpels, Lady Arpels Planétarium
- Men’s Watch Prize: Akrivia, Chronomètre Contemporain
- Men’s Complication: Laurent Ferrier, Galet Annual Calendar School Piece
- Chronograph Watch Prize: Singer Reimagined, Singer Track 1 Hong Kong Edition
- Chronometry Watch Prize: De Bethune, DB25 Starry Varius Chronomètre Tourbillon
- Mechanical Exception Watch Prize: Greubel Forsey, Grande Sonnerie
- Sports Watch Prize: Seiko, Seiko Prospex 1968 Diver’s Re-creation
- Jewellery Watch Prize: Van Cleef & Arpels, Secret de Coccinelle
- Artistic Crafts: Hermès, Arceau Robe du soir
- “Petite Aiguille” Prize: Habring2, Doppel-Felix
- Challenge Watch Prize: Nomos Glashütte, Tangente neomatik 41 Update
- Revival Prize: Vacheron Constantin, Historiques Triple calendrier 1942
- Audacity Prize: Konstantin Chaykin, Clown
- Innovation Prize: Krayon, Everywhere Horizon
- Special Jury Prize: Mr. Jean-Claude Biver